Colonel Mamady Doumbouya emerged Sunday as leader of the coup d’etat that toppled the 11 year-old government of President Alpha Conde.
Here are some 12 quick facts on the leader of Guinean junta.
1. There is a wide gap in the age of Conde and Doumbouya. The military officer is in his forties, while Conde is 83.
2. He is married to a European woman and they have three children
3. He was until today, the boss of the Group of Special Forces of the Guinean army.
4. He was a graduate of the School of War, with more than fifteen years military experience.
5. He had been on UN military mission to Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Central African Republic
6. Doumbouya has also had military training in Israel, Cyprus, United Kingdom.
7. In Israel, he completed the operational protection specialist training at the International Security Academy.
8. He also completed the unit commanders training course at the Infantry Application School (EAI – Senegal) , the training of staff officer (EEML – Libreville) and the Paris War School.
9. His training has equipped him to be able to identify and defuse risky situations by remaining calm in the face of a hostile environment and extreme pressure.
10. The head of the Special Forces Group adapts and improvises to any situation that requires self-control, risk assessment and rapid decision-making.
11. Commander Doumbouya holds a Master 2 (bac + 5) defense and industrial dynamics at the University panthéon Assas Paris ll. Defense expert in management, command and strategy.
12. He was also a Commondo instructor at the foreign legion in France on risk assessment and rapid decision making.